Barossa Valley Gourmet Food and Wine Tour
- Pick up from Glenelg, Adelaide CBD or Hahndorf accommodation
- Drive through the beautiful hills villages of Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater
- Visit the historical Herbig Family Tree in Springton
- Enjoy cheese tasting at the award winning Barossa Cheese Co., Angaston
- Relax at the iconic Seppeltsfield Winery and cellar door with wine tastings and explore the beautiful grounds
- Visit Maggie Beer’s Farm Shop, Nuriootpa, where you will be able to taste Maggie’s world renowned products and have your photo taken wearing Maggie’s apron on the TV series set of ‘The Cook and the Chef’
- Experience a panoramic view over the Barossa Valley at Mengler’s Hill Lookout and Sculpture Park
- Get your adrenaline pumping with an optional helicopter flight over the Barossa Valley with Barossa Helicopters (extra charge applies)
- Purchase your own lunch along the main street of Tanunda with a choice of over 20 eateries within a 500m strip
- Sit back and relax after lunch with a wine and chocolate tasting experience at Lou Miranda Estate. Choose between four wines or three fortified wines each paired with a chocolate.
- Finish your tasting journey with wine, cider and chocolate liqueur tastings at the international award winning Kellermeister Cellar Door, Lyndoch (be sure to try their Turkish Delight Rose in their Fun Favourites range!)
- Visit the Whispering Wall and experience it’s unique acoustics first-hand (it really does whisper!)
- Enjoy a complimentary box of chocolates on the drive home before being dropped off at your Hahndorf, Glenelg or Adelaide CBD accommodation
PRICE: $288.00 AUD per guest
TOUR TIMES: Full day luxury tour approx. 8:30am to 5:30pm
DEPARTURE & RETURN: Complimentary pick up from your Adelaide CBD, Glenelg or Hahndorf accommodation
INCLUSIONS: Wine, cider, cheese and chocolate tastings. Complimentary bottled water supplied.
MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE: 6 guests
For bookings less than 24 hours before departure please call us
“Over all a truly fantastic and relaxing experience, would do it again any day and will definitely recommend these guys to anyone coming to Adelaide. Even if they have done “The Barossa” before, they haven’t done it with Hills Luxury Day Tours! Thanks Rudi for a great day.”
Your gourmet experience of the Barossa Valley wine Tours starts here…
The Barossa Valley is one of Australia’s oldest wine regions and is home to more than 550 grape growing families, many sixth generation, supplying quality grapes to more than 170 wineries. Wine is only half the story of the beautiful Barossa, and while we provide a wine tour to rival any other, we also showcase the very best of the region’s other gourmet produce.
Our gourmet food, wine and sightseeing tour begins with a drive through the beautiful Adelaide Hills villages of Stirling, Aldgate and Bridgewater on the way to the Herbig Family Tree, an approximately 400 year old hollow red gum tree in Springton. This tree housed Friedrich Herbig from 1855 and his wife Caroline joined him living in the tree when they married in 1858. A year later the first of their sixteen children was born inside the tree. In 1860 their second child was born and the tree house became too small, so a hut was built nearby to accommodate the growing family. Today the Herbig Family Tree represents a graphic link to early European settlement of the area.
We then make our way to Angaston to enjoy cheese tasting at The Barossa Valley Cheese Company. Victoria, the director and head cheesemaker, was a trained winemaker spending a season making wine in Bordeaux. While in France and enjoying an array of handmade cheese, she realised what she truly wanted to do and learned the art of cheesemaking. She brought her new found passion home and The Barossa Valley Cheese Company opened its doors in 2003. Since then, Victoria and her team have expanded the range to 25 different styles of cheese winning a multitude of awards.
Our next stop is the magnificent Seppeltsfield Winery to begin your wine tasting journey. Enjoy the drive along the iconic Seppeltsfield Road, lined with more than 2,000 statuesque palm trees planted back in the 1930’s. As we make our way to the winery, spot the Greek inspired family mausoleum, perched high on the hillside. Upon arrival you may notice the vast, beautiful grounds, combining over 420 acres of ancient vineyards, gardens and heritage-listed architecture. In 1850, just 15 years after the European settlement of South Australia, Joseph Seppelt purchased 158 acres of land and named it ‘Seppeltsfield’. His intention was to farm tobacco, with later generations concentrating the estate’s efforts on grape growing and wine making. The Seppeltsfield estate is considered a true national treasure which helped shape the history of the Australian wine industry and is the only winery in the world to release a 100-year-old, single vintage wine each year. It is famous for its Centennial Collection – an unbroken lineage of Tawny of every vintage from 1878 to today.
We then head to Maggie Beer’s Farm Shop in Nuriootpa. Renowned for her traditional country recipes and love of seasonal produce, Maggie’s place is truly unique. Here you can view and sample her entire range of award winning produce, enjoy a short stroll through the property where you will discover wildlife and exotic birds, plus you can also see the set and enjoy a photo opportunity where Maggie films ‘The Cook and the Chef’.
Rising up behind the township of Tanunda is Mengler’s Hill Lookout and Sculpture Park. Take in the panoramic views of the region and snap some photos of the breathtaking scenery. Enjoy a short stroll around the peak, revealing a series of granite and marble sculptures created by artists from around the world.
At this time we offer an optional ten minute helicopter flight over the Barossa Valley, allowing you to enjoy a bird’s eye view of this wine growing region. Take part in this scenic tour and see beautiful sights including the Whispering Wall and well known Jacob’s Creek winery. If you are interested in this experience, please advise at time of booking.
By now you will be ready for lunch as we travel to Tanunda where you can purchase your own lunch with a choice of over 20 eateries within a 500m strip on the main street.
After lunch we travel to Lou Miranda Estate, a boutique, family owned cellar door. Here you will get to indulge in a wine and chocolate pairing experience. Choose between four wines or three fortified wines each paired with a chocolate.
Our last winery for the day is Kellermeister Cellar Door. Sit back and sample their premium wines, apple cider and chocolate liqueur. Kellermeister was originally founded in 1976 by Ralph Jones, and he and his wife Val only recently retired in 2012 with winemaker Mark Pearce and his wife Susanna purchasing the business. Marvel at the original mudbrick cellar door, take in the views of the rolling vineyards plus be sure to try their raved about, award winning Wild Witch Shiraz and turkish delight flavoured Alicante Rose in their Fun Favourites range!
Our last stop for the day is a visit to the Whispering Wall in Williamstown, a reservoir built in approximately 1900. The 9-story high, perfectly symmetrical design of this dam wall creates an incredible trick – words spoken in a whisper at one end are carried across its impressive span and heard in perfect clarity more than 140 metres away. While this may not be the best place to share a secret, it is a great spot to partake in the fun!